Dumazulu Game Lodge and Traditional Village
The 21 rounded ethnic huts – housing 19 twin rooms and two double rooms – are arranged in a circle around a central cattle kraal in true Zulu tradition. Exteriors are designed to reflect the different tribes of Southern Africa – Zulu, Swazi, North Sotho, Xhosa, Venda, Tsonga and Ndebele. Comfortable interiors reflect the rustic, warm colours of Africa – burnt oranges, rich reds and deep browns. Each unit includes an en-suite bathroom, air conditioning, telephone and tea/coffee making facilities.
Our self-catering units are all max 4 sleepers (twin beds and day bed) with a little kitchenette and breakfast nook, all build in traditional Rondawel style in the middle of the bush, representing a true Zulu kraal. They are tastefully decorated and surrround the pool next to a play gym for children.
Pop into the on-site reptile park which has the largest collection of snakes in northern Zululand, as well as crocodiles and numerous other reptiles.
DumaZulu Game Lodge also offers game drives, a variety of tours so you can experience the true richness of the Kingdom of the Zulu.
DumaZulu Traditional Village
Experience traditional KwaZulu-Natal hospitality at DumaZulu Traditional Village, South Africa’s biggest cultural village. Watch as locals make spears, shields, baskets and clay pots. Peek into the world of the sangoma. Experience the rhythmic drumbeat and dance of Africa. Taste Zulu beer. Watch the throwing of the bones…
Situated in the heart of Zululand near Hluhluwe, DumaZulu Traditional Village is as much a living cultural museum as it is a natural and therapeutic outdoors environment for guests to reconnect with nature. Cultural guides give guests a rare insight into local customs.
Pricing / Rates
Sneak Peek / Gallery
- Duma Zulu Cultural Show : R120
- Duma Zulu Traditional Lunch : R105
- Duma Zulu Snake & Crocodile Park : R30
- Game Drive Half Day – min 4 pax : R356
- Game Drive Half Day – Less 4 pax : R630
- Game Drive Full Day – min 4 pax : R495
- Game Drive Full Day – Less 4 pax : R725
- Guided Nyala Trail : R49
Location & Directions
Directions from Durban
- Follow the N2 North from Durban.
- Travel past Stanger, Gingindlovu, Richards Bay and Kwambonambi.
- +- 40 Km after Mtubatuba you will see a sign indicating a turn off to Bushlands/DumaZulu.
- Take the turn off and turn right over N2 freeway. Follow this road and you will pass the DumaZulu Kraal entrance on your left hand side. Visitors to the Cultural Experience will park in this car park.
- Continue on dirt road to the T junction and turn left, the DumaZulu Lodge entrance will be on your left approximately 500 meters from the junction.
- Continue on this road until you see the “Bushlands” sign (+- two and a half kms) Turn right and cross over the railway line.
- Follow the dirt road until you see the Bushlands Game Lodge entrance on your left hand side.The journey takes approximately 3 hours.
Directions from Johannesburg
- Travel from Johannesburg to Ermelo.
- Follow the N2 South from Ermelo.
- Travel past Piet Retief, Pongola and Mkuze towards Hlluhluwe.
- ±10km after the Hluhluwe turnoff on the N2 you will see a brown sign indicating a turn off to DumaZulu.
- Take the turn off and turn left. Follow this road and you will pass the Dumazulu Kraal entrance on your left hand side. Visitors to the Cultural Experience will park in this car park. The journey takes approximately 7 hours