Natal Spa Resort
Set in 550 hectares of beautiful KZN bushveld amongst giant Cambrian granite boulders that are millions of years old, the Natal Spa Hot Springs & Leisure Resort has beautiful views over the Bivane River and abundant bird life.
Legend has it that the river’s warm water and bubbles were the work of a large black snake with an underground lair. While that myth may have kept the ancient San people from the healing mineral waters, it certainly didn’t have the same effect on Oom Piet Wessles or the generations of visitors who have stopped over at this oasis between Vryheid and Paulpietersberg.
Like the Voortrekker forefather, guests soon discovered that there is more to a dip in the river than meets the eye. For starters, this is not ordinary H2O. The Natal Spa is famed for its hot mineral waters. The thermal waters rise up along fault fissures and are heated at the source to between 36 and 45 degrees Celsius.
These “triple waters” contain healing chlorides, sulphates and carbonates which is said to help treat gastric ailments, digestive disorders, biliary, constipation, fibrositis, gout, rheumatism, insomnia, skin disorders such as warts, and even the stresses and strains of everyday life.
Gooderson Leisure bought the resort in 2006. At the Natal Spa, their formula is simple – take plenty of rest and relaxation and just add revitalizing mineral water. Guests stay over in 57 large, comfortably furnished en-suite bedrooms – these include 16 Twins, 30 Family Rooms, 3 double rooms, 8 luxury King Size Rooms and 23 Self Catering Units. Each hotel room has a private bathroom and a TV. In-room coffee and tea making facilities are provided.
The Natal Spa is known for its cuisine – “farm-style” breakfasts at the dining room and terrace, light meals at The Bistro and delicious a la carte and buffet dinners. The Raptors Restaurant bar (open from 10 am until late) and the Boulders Bar alongside the heated pools are perfect spots for sundowners. The Natal Spa also offers an ATM on site for the convenience of our visitors.
Click here to watch a video.
Pricing / Rates
|Description||Midweek||Weekend / Holiday|
Sneak Peek / Gallery
To cut a long yarn short, Oom Piet eventually bought the farm through which this warm river flowed with a little help from his boss, General Smuts. It soon became a centre for recreation. During the Boer war in the 1900s, soldiers used one of the rocks on the far side of the river for target practice.
|Activity||Duration||Playing Cost||Hire Cost||Deposit|
|Super Tube||per day||R50 pp||-||-|
|Horse Ride *||One Hour||R150||-||-|
|Adventure Golf||18 Holes||R20 pp||-||R50|
|Wellness Centre||Day Pass||R80||-||-|
|Night Pass (4:00pm to close)||R50||-||-|
|Quad Bikes *||Per Hour||R185||-||-|
|Pool Tables||Per Game||R2||-||R100|
|Guided Bird Walks||Per Hour||R30 pp||-||-|
|Own Bike||Free to Ride||-||-||-|
|Mountain Bike Trail
|Own Bike||Free to Ride||-||-||-|
|Cellu-Beauty Treatment Rooms||Enquire at Wellness Centre||-||-|
|Paintball Arena||Enquire at Reception||-||-||-|
|Obstacle Course||Enquire at Reception||-||-||-|
|Big Screen TV||-||-||-||-|
* Please book one day in advance
|Bistro||Yes||Yes||Max Seats of 30|
|“Ematsheni Amakhulu” (The Big Rock)||Yes||Yes||Main Dining Room, Max Seats of 150, Buffet Breakfast, Conference Lunches, A la Carte & Buffet Dinner on selected evenings.|
|Raptor’s Bar||Big Screen TV, Open from 10h00 to late.|
|Boulder’s Bar||Big Screen TV, Open from 10h00 to 18h00.|
Spa and Wellness Centre
The popular Wellness Centre consists of a sauna and plunge pool, two Jacuzzis, two steam rooms, a 24 jet hydrotherapy bath (heated) as well as a fully equipped gym with cardiovascular circuit, weight training and juice bar. The Wellness Centre also includes CelluBeauty Wellness Retreat, which offers 3 treatment rooms (booking is essential).
Renowned for a diverse offering in all forms of health and wellness, Gooderson Leisure Wellness Centres’ relaxing facilities will rejuvenate your spirit and revive your senses.
Wellness Centre & Spa: Treatments
- Roman Royalty Swedish Massage
- Aromatherapy Full Body Massage
- Hot Stone Full Body Massage
- Full Body Exfoliation
- Majestic Milanese Facial
- Ultimate Anti-Aging Facial
- Spa Paraffin Manicure & Pedicure
- Eyelash & Eyebrow Tinting
- Cellulite Reversal
- Swiss Body Wrap
- Non Surgical Luxury Face Lift
- Kiddies Pampering
- Pamper Packages for the soul
Tel: + 27 34 995 0300
To host fantastic conferences, events and wedding receptions, Natal Spa Hot Springs & Leisure Resort offers three well-equipped conference rooms which can accommodate between 10 – 120 delegates. A stylish and scenic boardroom is also available for smaller meetings up to 10 delegates.
For team building activities/leisure time a variety of activities are offered on the resort.
|Boardroom||10 Boardroom Tables|
|Boulder’s Bar||30 Casual Seating|
|Lapa Area||30-50 Semi Formal|
- Tea / Coffee / Pastries mid morning.
- Lunch Served in our Restaurant
- Tea / Coffee / Biscuits served mid afternoon.
- Data Projector (Charged separately).
Location & Directions (-27° 31′ 38.14″S 30° 52′ 0.14″ E)
Directions from Durban
- From Durban travel along the North Coast.
- Take the Eshowe and travel towards Melmoth.
- From Melmoth travel to Vryheid.
- When entering Vryheid, at the first four way stop: turn right into South Street.
- Follow the road over the 4-way robot for +/- 3km.
- Turn left at the signboard “Paulpietersburg”.
- You will immediately drive over a railway bridge.
- Follow this road until you get to a T-junction.
- Turn left at this T-junction.
- Follow the road for +/- 20km.
- Turn right at signboard saying Natal Spa.
- Follow the road to the entrance, gates to Natal Spa are on the right-hand side.
- The journey takes approximately three and a half hours.
Directions from Johannesburg
- From Jo’burg take N4 Witbank Highway.
- Drive past the Shell Ultra City and take the Middelburg/Hendrina off ramp.
- Turn right at the T- junction and follow the signs to Hendrina.
- Drive straight through Hendrina and follow the signs to Ermelo.
- Drive through Ermelo and at the last robot turn left and follow signs to Piet Retief.
- Drive straight through Piet Retief +/- 1 and a half to 2km outside Piet Retief turn right to Paulpietersburg.
- At the second stop street in Paulpietersburg turn left.
- Drive straight through Paulpietersburg and keep going straight for 14km.
- Turn left at signpost saying Natal Spa.
- Follow the road to the entrance; gates to Natal Spa are on the left-hand side.
- The journey takes approximately 4 hours.